So who are we?
Over the course of the last decade, Bisnow has built itself into the largest media and events platform in the United States’ trillion dollar commercial real estate industry. Bisnow hosts almost 350 events a year that are attended by over 70,000 people, 2,000 sponsors and hundreds of speakers. We also publish multiple newsletters that reach almost three quarters of a million executives. As of now, we are a media company. A CTO will be key to helping us pivot to becoming a data company. Help us!
Job Description Overview:
- As the CTO you will lead all things technology dependent...so pretty much everything.
- We are looking for a CTO who can not only oversee development of applications that meet specifications, but also help guide the strategy that created those specifications in the first place. We don’t just want technology that works, we want technology that supports an effective business strategy – and we want you to help shape that. We aren’t just looking for a tech-lead, we are looking for a business partner to help us build an amazing company.
- You will drive efficiency and improve quality of code by implementing tools, best practices, internal frameworks, components and standards.
- You will recommend the technical architecture of products to optimize usability, development velocity and quality. You are constantly researching the newest tech trends and development techniques to drive continual improvement of our development work.
- You must be able to communicate with all the different stakeholders on the client's side as well as inside the company.
- You are constantly thinking about way for Bisnow to leverage technology to improve operational process, information management, and execution of products. You are our internal leader on how we use data to drive business decisions and outcomes.
- You will be a great manager, and a great human being to work alongside.
Major Areas of Responsibility for the CTO:
- Develop technical aspects of the company’s strategy to ensure alignment with its business goals.
- Ensuring technologies are used efficiently, profitably and securely.
- Supervise system infrastructure to ensure functionality and efficiency.
- Discover and implement new technologies that yield competitive advantage.
- Track, analyze and monitor technology performance metrics.
- Oversee all system design and changes in system architecture.
- Evaluating and implementing new systems and infrastructure.
- Build quality assurance and data protection processes.
- Developing the company’s strategy for using technological resources.
- Represent the technological agenda in staff meetings and when making hiring decisions.
- Constantly optimizing processes, best practices, and tools to be used by developers.
- Define and document development processes and best practices.
- Increase reuse of standardized components and in-house frameworks.
- Ability to translate business decisions into technical solutions that increase shareholder value.
- Proven experience as a CTO or similar leadership role.
- Knowledge of technological trends to build strategy.
- Understanding of budgets and business-planning.
- Ability to conduct technological analyses and research.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Leadership and organizational abilities.
- Strategic thinking.
- Problem-solving aptitude.
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field; MBA or other relevant graduate degree is a plus.
Understanding the basics of technologies listed below:
- PHP (5.3, 5.6, 7)
- Laravel as the main framework
- CodeIgniter (is advantage)
- HTML, CSS
- Linux operating system
- Relational databases
- MySQL, PostGres
- Additionally, it is important to know and have experience with: Web application development and its architecture, Service oriented architecture, API implementation and definition
Principles to implement:
- Load balancing
- Data storage
- Content Delivery
- Cloud technologies (Rackspace, DigitalOcean, AWS)
- Principles of mobile development
- Agile development best practices
- Github workflow
- Basics of Google Analytics
A short term goal for the CTO is to set up a team of 3-4 developers to work on the current development plan. A medium term goal for the CTO is to reshape our tech stack so we’re agile and ready for explosive growth. The goal for our new CTO is to work with the senior management team on how technology can help drive our business strategy over the next 2-3 years. A long term goal for the CTO is to revolutionize the way the business uses tech to self-organize, execute process, and maintain information.
This job plan is intended to convey job focus, key responsibilities, and targets. It serves as a simple guide, it is not all encompassing. Given the seniority of this position, self-supervision and entrepreneurial drive are key to success.