When we say “we”, “our” or “us”, we mean collectively:
- the main Bisnow site (www.bisnow.com), each of our local (e.g.,www.bisnow.com/new-york, www.bisnow.com/san-francisco) and topic (e.g.,www.bisnow.com/multifamily, www.bisnow.com/retail) editions, Escape (www.bisnow.com/escape), and all of our local and national events (www.bisnow.com/events) (the “Sites”) and
- the email publications prepared and delivered by us to our members.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may obtain personal information about you from various sources, including this and our other websites, when you call or email us or communicate with us through social media, or when you participate in events or other promotions. We also may obtain information about you from our business partners and other third parties. Any personal information you provide to us is maintained on secure servers and our internal systems.
Our primary goal in collecting personal information is to provide you, the user, with a customized experience on our Sites. This includes personalization services, interactive communications, online shopping and many other types of services, all of which are completely free to you.
The types of personal information we may obtain include:
- Your contact information (such as name, Twitter handle, email address, zip code or phone number)
- Username and password for the account you may establish on our Sites
- Demographic information (such as age, job title, date of birth, gender, etc.)
- Any content (e.g., comments, photographs, information and other materials) that you post directly on our Sites (please bear in mind any personal information you submit can be read, collected or used by others; accordingly, please exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personal information in public activities or submissions)
- Information you provide by interacting with us through social media, including photographs
- Location information when signing up for a website account
- Reading, browsing, advertising information (clicks, interactions, post-impression performance data) and shopping behavior and preferences, and a record of the purchases you make on our websites
- Your search queries conducted on our Sites
- Other details that you may submit to us or that may be included in the information provided to us by third parties.
The types of non-personal information we may obtain include (This type of information is collected anonymously through the use of technology, such as third-party cookies, web beacons, and other similar methods):
Hardware/software information (geographic location, IP address, browser type, device type, operating system, bandwidth, etc.); Analytics information (time spend on site, number of pages viewed, referring web page, browsing information, social sharing, etc.); Advertising information (type of ads seen, number of times ads were served, pages where the ads were served, etc.); Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.
Some of the technology used includes but is not limited to:
- Web beacons: The Sites’ content may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit Business Insider, for example, to count users who have accessed the Site and for other related statistics, for example, recording the popularity of certain Site content and verifying system and server integrity.
For more information on cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies, please visit the Internet Advertising Bureau’s Interactive Glossary.
We also may use third-party website analytics tools that collect information about visitor traffic on our Sites. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, we use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”), and the Google Analytics tracking code implemented by us supports Display Advertising and its features (e.g., Remarketing, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, the DoubleClick Campaign Manager integration, and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting). We will not facilitate the merging of personally-identifiable information with non-personally identifiable information previously collected from such Display Advertising features unless you have first been provided with abundant notice of and given us your prior affirmative (i.e. opt-in) consent to, that merger. We and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimize and serve ads based on your past visits to our Sites. For example, we may use such analytics to (i) display content specific advertisements to visitors that have previously visited our Sites when those visitors go to other websites (e.g., Google may show ads relating to our Sites to those visitors across the Internet) and (ii) help us determine how your ad impressions, other uses of ad services, and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to visits to our Sites. You can opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize Google Display ads using the Google Ads Preferences Manager.
HOW DO WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use the personal information you provide to us in several ways. Some examples follow:
- Register you for membership at our Sites’, and manage and maintain your account on the Sites
- Provide products or services you request
- For other event attendees in the form of attendee lists
- Validate, confirm, verify, deliver and track your purchases (including contacting you about your orders, including by telephone)
- Maintain a record of the purchases you make and the areas you browse on our Sites
- Respond to your questions and comments and provide customer support
- To communicate with you about products, services, offers, events and promotions from Bisnow and our sponsors, and offer you products and services we believe may be of interest to you from Bisnow and our sponsors
- To share our relevant industry newsletter emails
- To share your information with business partners, agents and other third parties, including your name, title, email address and other personal information, for marketing or other purposes, and you should presume that your personally identifiable information may thus be subject to future transactions. When sharing your information with third parties, Bisnow endeavors to oblige the third parties to follow practices substantially similar to those of Bisnow with respect to such information
- Provide our sponsors and business partners with data about our users
- Enable you to communicate with us through our blogs, social networks and other interactive media
- Manage your participation in our events, sweepstakes and other promotions
- Tailor our products and services to suit your personal interests and the manner in which visitors use our Sites, applications and social media assets
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business and the products and services we offer
- Analyze and enhance our marketing communications and strategies (including by identifying when emails sent to you have been received and read)
- Analyze trends and statistics regarding visitors’ use of our Sites, and social media assets, and the purchases visitors make on our Sites
- Protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users
- Provide, improve, test, and monitor our Sites
- Diagnose or fix technology problems
- Manage our business
- To share your information as part of any corporate reorganization process including, but not limited to, bankruptcy, mergers, acquisitions, and sales of all or substantially all of our assets
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and industry standards and our policies
- As disclosed at the time of collection
We also may use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
WHAT OPTIONS DO YOU HAVE ABOUT HOW BISNOW USES OR SHARES YOUR INFORMATION?
If you no longer wish for us to share your contact information with our sponsors or other third parties, please send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. For us to be able to locate your record, your e-mail must include your name and e-mail address. Please also state your request in the body of the email. We will endeavor to process your request within 10 days, and thereafter we will no longer share your contact information with third parties. Please note that we will not be able to stop third parties from sending you information about their products or services if your information was shared with them before we received your request.
CREDIT CARD COMPANIES
Credit card transactions are handled by third party financial institutions and their vendors and contractors who receive credit card numbers and other personal information from us to verify the credit card numbers and process transactions. The use of your personal information by the third party financial institutions and their vendors and contractors will be subject to their own privacy policies.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES: SOCIAL MEDIA
HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE TO BISNOW EMAILS AND “SPONSORED EMAIL”
You can unsubscribe from receiving Bisnow emails at any time. You can unsubscribe by clicking on the “Unsubscribe” link in the footer of any Bisnow email and following the instructions. You can also unsubscribe by clicking on the "Manage Subscriptions" link on the bottom of the Bisnow homepage and following the instructions, or by emailing email@example.com with your name, email address, and specific request. We will endeavor to process your request within 10 days. Please note that during that time, you may continue to receive e-mail messages from Bisnow.
If you’ve been subscribing to our emails then from time to time you’ve also been receiving emails marked “Sponsored Email” in the subject line and in the email header. These emails are content paid for by our sponsors.
You can unsubscribe from receiving Sponsored Email emails. However, if you do so, you will no longer receive Bisnow emails either. You can unsubscribe by clicking on the "Unsubscribe" link in the footer of any Bisnow email and following the instructions. You can also unsubscribe by clicking on the “Manage Subscriptions” link on the bottom of the Bisnow homepage and following the instructions, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address, and specific request. We will endeavor to process your request within 10 days. Please note that during that time, you may continue to receive e-mail messages from Bisnow.
Additionally, regardless of whether you have unsubscribed from receiving advertising and promotional material from Bisnow, you will continue to receive transactional information from us, such as information relating to your account or payment or bill information.
HOW WE PROTECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to assist us in protecting the personal information we collect against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. For example, when required, we use [Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology]. [SSL technology] encrypts your information to protect it from being decoded by anyone other than us. We also limit access to personal information about you to employees or service providers who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that personal information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
While we implement these and other security measures on our Sites, please note that 100% security is not always possible. We cannot guarantee that the security measures we have in place to safeguard personal information will never be defeated or fail, or that those measures will always be sufficient or effective. You play a role in protecting your information as well. Because your password permits access to your personal information, please keep your password secret and do not disclose it to others.
In the event that all or part of our assets or sold or acquired by another party, or in the event of a merger, you grant us the right to assign the personal information, technical and other information collected via the Sites.
your right to access your personal Information
You have the right to access and update the personal information that we have collected. You may exercise these rights by logging into your personal profile or by contacting us at email@example.com.
INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER of information
If you choose to provide us with personal information, we may transfer that information across borders and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are visiting from the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from US law, please note that you are transferring your personal information to the United States which does not have the same data protection laws and does not offer you the same rights as the EU, and by providing your personal information you consent to:
- the transfer of your personal information to the United States as indicated above.
These Sites are not intended for children under the age of 18. We will not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from Site visitors in this age group. We encourage parents to talk to their children about their use of the Internet and the information they disclose online. If a child has provided us with personally identifiable information, a parent or guardian of that child may contact us via e-mail at the above e-mail address if they would like this information deleted from our records. We will use reasonable efforts to delete the child’s information from our databases.
We do not currently recognize any “do not track” signals sent by browsers.
your california privacy rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPDATES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
HOW TO CONTACT US
123 William Street, Floor 15
New York NY 10038
Bisnow cannot be bought.
Journalistic integrity and reader trust are paramount to this company. Ergo, our staff is responsible for all content published on the website. Ergo, we never print positive editorial material in exchange for dollars, euros, lira, deutsch marks, Ancient Roman ducats, marbles, pinwheels, land, good lasagna, great lasagna, pogs, baseball cards, gum, kitchen appliances, gym equipment, phone numbers, tickets to see Lady Gaga, (wait... no, we guess we won’t take those either. Ethics, right?), or anything else of monetary value for that matter. Any moments of sponsorship are clearly marked as such, including our "Sponsored Editorials" and "Dedicated Emails."
Opinions expressed at live events are those of the speaker, not necessarily those of the Bisnow editorial department, and should therefore be heeded at the discretion of the listener.